Friday, November 28, 2008

Another thought on Obama as President

So my job is to help kids with behavioral issues. The day after the election, I received a call from one of my kid's teacher saying he was having a bad day and asking if I could come talk to him. So I went to talk to my kid. I took several approaches, but one of them was to try and increase motivation for school.

So I asked him what he wanted to be when he got older and I asked him if he'd want to be President. For a second I thought I needed to take my words back because this was a Black boy. I did not want to instill false hope, unrealistic expectations, or have ignorance about the reality of his future (most Black males go to the cemetery young or go to jail). But then I realized that Barack was just elected and it is possible for a Black male to be President. I felt a sense of relief. I could genuinely ask him that question not wonder if it was too far stretched. And I have someone to point to proving that it is possible. That's pretty exciting!!

No comments: