Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Pursuit of Justice

I just watched Blood Diamond and it reminded me of a conversation with one of the high school girls. I was picking her up from school and she told me they had watched Hotel Rwanda that day. She was freakin' out because she couldn't believe what happened and she felt terrible for not doing anything to help. She proceeded to ask me what she could do to help "Save Dar fur" because we had talked about that before and it's a similar modern day situation. We discussed some and I told her I'd get back to her. I was hoping to come up with some very practical ways to get involved. I'm excited she was so interested since we had discussed social justice a lot in bible study. But I've been busy and haven't researched on the updated Dar fur situation, or how to get involved. Part of me feels like a bad bible study leader because she's seeking answers and I'm not being faithful to help in the process. But part of me is trying to have mercy on myself because my plate is pretty full. So maybe y'all can help.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can tell this girl? I know it's very complicated, but I don't feel like I have any good answers. I'd also like them to do something practical to put into practice what we've discussed. Something like Samaritan's Purse, but that's more dealing with poverty and not civil war. Although I know it'd be good. Ideas anyone?

No comments: