Monday, August 3, 2009

Slum Communities...I can have a role

It was cool to realize more and more what I have to offer slum communities after going to Mexico City for six weeks. First of all, being American and choosing to be there lets the people know they have value and are cared for, that I would give up my comfort to be there with them. I never thought speaking English could be so impactful, but the people were so eager to learn correct pronunciation and grammar. The English they get in school is low quality. I guess it makes sense, being able to speak English means access to better jobs. Now I realize what a privilege it is. Being able to connect with different ages and cultures. Because of this people will trust me and choose to listen to what I can offer about God and life. And mediating conflict. If this didn't happen, our kids club could have been a disaster. It was cool to see that God can use me in a different cultural context and that I have a lot to offer (there was more I realized than mentioned here). And I could see what a difference the church and organization I worked with was making in peoples lives as the people realized their value and God's love for them and their community.

No comments: